HP Printer drivers work as a communicator between your computer and printer. Have you mistakenly uninstalled drivers? Or do you need to know the process of downloading it? Well, this tutorial will be of much help and make you learn how to reinstall HP Printer driver on your computer.
Every HP printer model has its specific printer driver, which it uses to understand your computer’s language. Your driver then translates the printing instructions you give through your computer to the language easily understandable by your printer. Using different methods, you can install the printer drivers in your Windows or Mac device.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers is advantageous in resolving any errors in your printer. HP keeps releasing new bug fixes in their software, and that’s why it becomes more important to install them on your computer. Now let’s learn how to reinstall HP printer driver on Mac and Windows, before that you need to adhere to some necessary instructions.
Prerequisites for HP printer driver reinstallation
Go through these instructions for a smooth driver reinstallation process.
- Make sure to connect your printer and computer over a similar wired or wireless network.
- Also, the initial printer setup should be complete.
- Keep the router close to your HP printer and computer.
- Check the network connection; it should be stable with no obstruction in between the printer, computer, and router. It can cause errors while reinstalling the HP printer drivers.
- Enter the correct printer model while downloading and reinstalling the HP printer drivers from HP official website 123.hp.com/setup.
- Always prefer to download the full software package instead of the basic one. After all, it’s free of cost.
- Have enough storage space on your computer to store the drivers and software.
- Uninstall the printer driver completely from your computer before reinstalling it. To uninstall, go to Devices and Printers, right-click on your HP Printer and select Uninstall Printer.
How to reinstall HP printer driver on Windows?
Windows computers have built-in printer drivers, which supports lots of basic printers’ functions. To download the full version, you can visit the HP official website and install the software. Below are the different options which you can use to reinstall the printer drivers.
Option 1. Driver auto-download via Windows Update
- Turn on your Windows computer.
- Now type change device in the search box and hit enter.
- Select Change device installation settings.
- Then click Yes (recommended) under device installation settings pop-up.
- Now click Save Changes. If it asks for the administrator’s permission, click Ok.
- Now your Windows are allowed to auto-download the drivers and reinstall HP printer software.
Option 2. Install Printer drivers from 123.hp.com/setup
Downloading printer drivers from HP’s official site is the most efficient and reliable way. HP keeps releasing the new software update quite often, which helps in bug and error fixes. You need to follow these steps to reinstall the drivers.
- From your computer, visit the website 123.hp.com/setup.
- Navigate the web page and click Download Drivers under the Support
- Now enter your HP printer model number under “Identify my product category” and click Ok.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download the full printer drivers and software packages on your computer.
- Let the downloading get complete.
- Further, go to the download folder and find the Printer Driver Installer
- Double-click over it and run the file to reinstall HP printer software to your computer.
- Click Finish after the complete installation.
Option 3. Install driver via Add a Printer Wizard
You can also install the built-in driver in your Windows computer using Add Printer Wizard. Follow the below process to install the driver.
- Go to the Control Panel on your computer.
- Now navigate to Devices and Printers
- Click Add a Printer
- On the next screen, select your HP printer and click Next. Following the on-screen instructions will help you install the built-in drivers.
- And if you can not find your printer, click, “The printer that I want isn’t listed.”
- After that, click Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings and then click Next.
- Choose the adequate port for your printer and click Next.
- Further, click Windows Update.
- Now in the manufacturer section, select HP, and choose the name of your printer under the print section.
- Click next and install the printer driver.
- If you are unable to find your printer name, then go back twice and choose the option Add a Printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname and click Next to proceed.
- Now under Device, those choose the option Autodetect.
- Get a printer IP address from the network configuration report and type it in the desired field.
- To reinstall HP printer software, click Next soon after your computer connects to the printer.
How to reinstall HP printer driver on Mac?
After Installing an HP printer driver on your Mac, you can avail of various Apple printing features such as AirPrint and print anywhere. Follow the below steps to download and install the printer drivers on your Mac device.
Step 1. Initial setup
- Get a USB cable and verify the USB port on your Mac device.
- Turn on your Mac and click the Apple icon in the dock.
- Further, click System Preferences.
- Now, as per your Mac OS version, select any of these options Print & Fax, Print & Scan, or Printers & Scanners.
- Verify the name of your HP printer in the device’s list. If it’s there, then click Remove and Add it again.
- If your HP printer name is missing, then click Add a printer.
- Your Mac will display the name of the available printer, click on yours.
- Your Mac will ask you to install the printer drivers, then click the option Download and Install. And you need to choose the connection type as USB during the process
- If it displays the message “Software is not available,” manually download and install HP printer driver on Mac.
- Proceed to the next step to download manually.
Step 2. Manually Download the printer drivers on Mac
- Visit the website support.hp.com from your Mac browser.
- Now click printer on the HP homepage.
- Further, enter your printer model name under the Product Name field.
- Click Submit to proceed.
- Now verify the operating system and alter it as per your Mac device version.
- After that, click the Download option under Driver product installation software.
- Make sure to download the full software package.
- Wait for some time and let the process complete.
- Go to the download location and search for .dmg
- Open the file to install HP printer driver on Mac. Choose the connection type as USB during the installation process.
- Next, click your HP printer to add it to the printer queue.
- Now click Print Using or Use option and then select your HP printer from the drop-down menu.
- Finally, click Add to confirm the selection.
Still, facing a problem? Contact our 24/7 available helpline number
Hopefully, you have installed the printer drivers on your Windows or Mac device by using these quick tips. Whether you have bought a new printer or found any error in the printing operation, you can fix any issue by downloading and installing the HP printer drivers. However, if you cannot follow any of the processes, consider contacting our HP support number. We have a team of engineers and printer experts who can help you reinstall the drivers or fix any other problem. Contact us now; we are 24/7 available.