This guide will teach you how to connect HP printer to WiFi router using quick and straightforward steps.After following the process, you can connect your computer directly to the printer over a wireless network and get the printouts hassle-free.
Also, these steps will cover the WiFi setup process, and to ensure the wireless compatibility of your printer, you must check your HP printer’s user manual.
The wireless printing has a significant edge over Ethernet or wired connection as it helps to get rid of the wires and cables. With the WiFi network, you need not worry about the frayed or lose connection as you are not using a one. So what all you need to connect HP printer to wireless router network? Well, here is the list of tools required.
- Local or home wireless router network.
- SSID network name and password.
- The computer and HP printer.
- USB cable (Connect it when instructedby your computer)
Proactively collecting all these items will quicken up the process, and now you can use the next sections to secure the connection process. Let’s proceed.
How to connect HP printer to WiFi?
Four different processes are categorized under automatic and manual ways to connect your printer to the wireless router.
Method #1. Auto Connection method
After using Auto Wireless Connection method, your printer automatically connects to your WiFi router and that too without plugging any wires or cable. This connection typically does not need an SSID name or security password to start printing operations.
- Check the compatibility
Not all but most of the new advanced HP printers have this capability. Make sure the points below should be met by your router, computer, and printer to use Auto Wireless Connection method.
- Windows computer must use Vista orthe latest version, while Mac should be OS X 10.5 or later.
- Your printer should be connected to the same WiFi router as your computer.
- The operating system of your computer should be controlled by a wireless adapter so that the HP software can retrieve the PC’s current wireless network settings.
- Your router should be compatible with 2.4 GHz,as the HP printer does not support 5 GHz networks.
- Your computer should work on a dynamic IP address so do not use a static IP address.
- Download the printer software
- Visit the webpage 123.hp.com/setup.
- Click Support and select Download Drivers.
- Enter your HP printer model name & number and click Download.
- Visit the Download folder on your computer.
- Double click on the HP printer software installer file.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and install the printer software on your computer.
- Turn on your HP printer
To connect HP printer to wireless router network, press the power button on your printer. Now follow the stepsgiven below, and make sure to complete them within two hours because, after that, your printer will need to undergo the network reset process.
- Open the printer software file that you have just downloaded.
- If your printer supports the auto wireless connection mode, then the software will automatically detect it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and choose the connection type as Network (Ethernet/Wireless).
- Now you will need to select “Yes, send my wireless settings to the printer (recommended).”
- It will take a moment to establish the printer and wireless network connection.
Method 2. Manual Connection Method
If your printer does not support the Auto Wireless Connection method, then do not worry as there is an alternate method to connect to the wireless network. Here is how to connect HP printer to WiFi using a manual connection method.
- WPS method
Here you can use the WiFi protected setup method using Pushbutton on your router. If there is no button on your wireless router, then proceed to the next step.
- Turn on your printer.
- Click Settings (Gear icon) on your printer touch control panel.
- Now press Network setup, then scroll down the list and select Wireless Settings.
- Click WiFi protected setup and select Pushbutton.
- Now within two minutes, press WPS Pushbutton on your router.
- Wait for HP printer wireless setup to complete. It can take a minute to establish a network connection.
- Wireless setup wizard
Before using the wireless setup wizard method, you must know your network SSID name and WEP, WPA, or WPA2 password. Now let’s start to connect HP printer to wireless router network using the wireless setup wizard.
- Click the Setup icon on your printer control panel. Depending on your printer model, the icon may appear as a gear or wrench.
- Now scroll using the left /right or up/down button and click Network.
- Further, you will need to click the Wireless Setup Wizard.
- Your printer will display the list of available networks, choose yours and proceed further.
- If you do not find your SSID network name, then scroll to the bottom and manually enter it in the desired field. Be careful while typing, as the text is case sensitive.
- Further, enter your WiFi network password.
- Now click Ok to save the settings.
- Hereafter the WiFi credentials will be saved on your printer.
- If still the connection is not established, then print the network configuration report and refer it to fix the problem.
- USB setup
If your printer doesn’t have a touch control panel, then how to connect HP printer to WiFi? Well, in that case, you can use the USB cable to establish the connection.
- Firstly, disconnect the USB cable from your computer and printer.
- If you have already installed the printer software, then uninstall it.
- Restart the printer software installation process.
- During the software installation process,when asked fora connection option, then click over USB.
- Now connect your printer to the computer with USB.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the hp printer wireless setup
- Remove the USB cable whenever instructed by your computer.
With these four methods, you can learn how to connect HP printer to WiFi router. Let’s recall them so that you can help yourself to choose a one –
- Auto Wireless Connection method. (Auto connection method)
- WPS method. (Manual connection method)
- Wireless Setup Wizard. (Manual connection method)
- USB setup method. (Manual connection method)
However,our suggestion would be to pick the first one because it’s secure, reliable, and with it, the printer will quickly establish the network connection with your router. Although, if your printer or other devices do not support the auto connection,then you can use the other three methods. If you find any trouble during the process, don’t worry and call our HP support number immediately.