Whether it’s printing excellent quality color printouts for your office presentations or school projects, Hp Printers do it all.
But, what if your HP Printer Not Printing Color!
Well, a color printout is the least used function in comparison to other features of HP printers. People generally use color printouts for meetings, presentations, or school and college projects, while the regular printing operation is enough for day-to-day life.
Hence, most users do not know how to use the color printing function in their device or execute the settings to get the beautiful color printouts.
If you need a practical answer for your HP printer not printing issue, then you will surely get it today. We are listing here six different methods for troubleshooting the problem.
Why is the HP printer not printing color?
There could be many issues behind printer not printing color such as:
- Low color ink cartridge level.
- Another could be the clogged printhead and ink nozzles.
- Your printer is set at Grayscale printing mode.
- You might be using an outdated printer driver software.
- Cartridge requires cleaning.
Let’s start first with troubleshooting the underlying issues.
- Check ink cartridge level
To fix HP Printer not printing color problem,many of the readers would have already checked the color ink toner level in the printer. If you haven’t, then with this step, you will learn the process of doing it.
- Turn on your printer.
- Now you can try to visually inspect thecolor toner level from ink level indicator on the printer control panel.
- If you are not satisfied, then proceed with a physical inspection.
- Ensure paper in the feeder tray.
- Now you need to open the cartridge access door.
- The carriage will now move to the center, and you’ll wait for the printer to get silent.
- Remove the ink cartridge from its slot by holding it from the sides. (DO NOT touch the copper contacts)
- Now verify the presence of ink; if found low, then replace it with a new one.
- Cleaning Cartridge
The cartridge cleaning tool is a practical approach to fix HP Printer not Printing color issues. This process will deep clean the cartridges so that you can get excellent quality printouts.
- Double-click on the printer icon and open it.
- Now go to the option Print & Scan.
- Further, you need to select the Maintain Printer
- Now in the Toolbox window, click Device Services.
- After that, you need to click clean ink cartridges.
- Further, you need to click Print after following the on-screen instructions.
- Inspect the test print page and repeat the steps if you are not satisfied with the results.
If you are still facing HP Printer not Printing color issue, you will have to replace the color ink cartridge. Proceed to the next step to replace the toner.
- Replace the color ink cartridge
- Unpack the new HP ink cartridge.
- Now remove the safety tape on top of it.
- Now you need to hold it by the sidesand insert it to the respective slot.
- After that, you can close the ink cartridge access door.
- A few seconds later, your printer will automatically printout the test alignment page.
- Now you need to put that alignment page with the printed side down on top of the scanner glass. (Use the guided markups for placing the paper)
- Further, you can press the Scan button, and your printer will align the color ink cartridge.
If replacing the ink cartridge doesn’t solve the HP Printer not Printing colorproblem, then there could be a settings mismatch. You might have enabled the grayscale printing option. Jump to the next step to rectify it.
- Enable the color printing option
At times, mistakenly, the user may set their printer to print at grayscale mode. You will need to fix it back to the default style.
- Type Settings in the search box.
- Now from the list, select the Settings
- After that, you can click Devices and Printers.
- From the list, you have to right-click your Printer_Name.
- Now select the Printer Properties.
- After that, go to the Printing Preferences
- Further,select the Paper/Quality tab and select Color.
- Finally, click Ok and exit from the properties page.
Now you try to print and verify if HP Printer not Printing color issue is solved. If the problem still exists, then probably your printer driver is not supporting color print. Move to the next step to update to the latest version.
- Update printer driver software
Now you will need to update your printer driver software by following the below process.
- Go to Printers and Devices on your computer.
- Now select the Printers
- Right-click on your HP printer.
- Click Uninstall from the drop-down menu. Click Yes to confirm.
- Now open the Chrome browser on your computer.
- After that,type hp.com/setup and hit Enter on the keyboard.
- The HP home page will open, now navigate to the bottom and clickSupport.
- Click Support & Troubleshooting from the drop-down list.
- Further, select Download Drivers.
- You will now receive the installer extension files to your download location.
- Run the file and follow the on-screen instructions to download the printer driver software.
The upgraded printer driver software process will help your printer to detect its color printing capabilities. Your HP Printer not Printing color issue will now translate to printing excellent quality color printouts.
- Printhead cleaning
Sometimes due to color inkprinthead clogging, your printer creates an issue to give color printouts. Firstly you will need to run the print quality diagnostic report and then clean the printheads.
- On your printer control panel, click Setting (Wrench shaped)
- Now go to the Tools
- Select Print Quality Diagnostic Report.
- Now your printer will print the report.
- If the report says,printhead clogging issue, then remove the colorink cartridges from its slot.
- Now take clean cloth or cotton swab and gently wipe the printhead surface.
- Also, you need to clean the ink cartridge nozzle. To fix HP Printer not printing black issue clean the black ink nozzle and printhead as well.
- After that, install the color cartridge to the slot and close the access door.
- Now again, go to the settings menu and click Tools.
- There you need to select the Printhead cleaning tool. Now, wait for your printer to print the test page.
- The next step is to click the Clean Ink Smears. And wait for the printer to complete the process.
HP Printer not Printing color doesn’t always mean the problem with your printer; instead, it might have occurred due to color printing feature never or least used. It is advisable to keep using the color printing at least once in a month so that you can avoid the failure when printouts are needed immediately.
Additionally, you can also download the HP Printer Assistant application, utility software to alert you for low ink levels, order supplies, or update the printer driver software. And please tell us about your experiences after using these tips, we are waiting to hear from you.