Are you finding a method to fix PCL XL Error on HP Printer? Well, your search ends here. This guide will provide you all the practical steps and tips to troubleshoot PCL XL error and the root cause behind this nasty error.
Most importantly, if you have also encountered the error, then no need to panic as it can be quickly fixed by following some standard operating procedures.Computers use printer driver software to interact with the printing devices. At the same time, improper or corrupt installation of this software will result in various problems, and one such issue is PCL XL error.
Moreover, after encountering this error, the users get frustrated and keep sending the print command, which results in more complications. As soon as the error PCL XLappears, the first stepshould be to stop giving print commands and abort the operation.
Now let’s get insightsinto this error to gaina deeper understanding to fix this problem quickly.
What is the PCL XL error?
PCL is an abbreviation of Printer Command Language, and XL denotes the advanced and enhanced version of PCL.
The LaserJet printer users encounter the error PCL XL more often than others. Generally, when you put multiple print commands together, this error message appears on your computer screen. Sometimes, it can also be due to corrupt or damaged printer driver software.
Another reason behind error PCL XL is an issue withnew UNIDRV.DLL (Version 6.0.5824.16384) installed with the .NET 3.0 Framework because generally, most of the HP printers are not designed to use this version. To fix PCL XL Error on HP Printer, you will need to revert to the previous UNIDRV files; we have covered the steps as you go down the article.
How PCL XL Error appears on screen?
Through different ways the error PCL XL can be displayed on your computer screen, mostly it appears the following way:
PCL XL Error
However, a few of the above parameters may vary as per the nature of the error. But most likely, it will be structured the same way on your screen. In the next section, you will find all the practical steps to eliminate this error.
Quick Steps to fix PCL XL error on HP Printer
To fix this error, you will need to follow a series of steps and try not to jump even a single one. If you can resolve in between, then do not follow the next level. Now let’s proceed to resolve the error.
Step 1. Run Printer Troubleshooter
Firstly, you will need to run the inbuilt Printer trouble-shooter to fix it. Here is how it is done.
- Firstly, press and hold the “Windows + I” keys together.
- Now on the screen, select the Update and Security option.
- Further, choose the Troubleshoot option on the left side panel.
- Now scroll the list under Troubleshoot category and click Printer.
- Then click Run the troubleshooter.
Hereafter a wizard display will open, and it automatically detects the actual problem to fix PCL XL error on HP printer. If still an issue persists, then check out the next step.
Step 2. Modify printer driver settings
The incorrect printer driver settings also play a significant role in the occurrence of the PCL XL issue. Follow these steps to fix it.
- Type Control Panel on the search box of your computer and click on the result.
- Now select Devices and Printers.
- From the list of devices,right-click the HP printer that is facing error PCL XL.
- Now choose Printer Preferences from the drop-down list.
- On the next screen, click the Advanced tab and click ➕ in the below screen to expand all the options.
- Firstly, you need to set Print Data Optimization to Optimize for Text and Vector. And then check if error PCL XL is resolved. If not, then follow step b.
- Now set TrueType Font– Download as Softfont and Sent True Type as Bitmap – Enabled.
- After that, you can click Apply and then click Ok to confirm.
Step 3. Reduce Print resolution
Reducing the print quality will also help you fix error PCL XL. If you are using a USB connected printer, make sure not to use frayed or loose wire connection.
- Search for and Control Panel on your computer.
- And click Devices and Printers
- Then right-click on your HP printer and choose Printer Preferences.
- Further, on the Printing Preferences window, click the Paper/Quality
- Now click down arrow ⬇under Print Quality section and select 600 dpi.
- To affirm your selection, click Apply and then click Ok.
Step 4. Rename the .GPD files
Before changing the file name, make sure to create a backup first. This step works wonders to fix PCL XL Error on HP Printer.
- Copy this file location –C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64\3.
- And now paste it on your computer’s search box.
- Now a new window will open, here click ⬇down arrow in front of Type category and then ✔markGPD file to select all .gpd files.
- Further, you can rename them all per your choice and click Ok to save the changes.
- Now check if the problem is resolved.
Step 5. Update printer driver
While trying to print if the error PCL XL appears again, then updating drivers would be the better option. After that, you might need to uninstall and reinstall the driver software.
- Right-click on the Windows
- Now choose Device Manager from the list.
- Further on the device manager window, click and expand Print Queues.
- Now right-click on your HP printer that is facing PCL XL error.
- Select the option Update Driver.
- On the next screen, if prompted,then choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to install the printer driver software on your computer.
Step 6. Uninstall and Reinstall the printer driver
- Type Control on the search box and select Control Panel from the result.
- Now click Devices and Printers.
- You will see the list of printers, choose your HP printer.
- Now select the option Remove Device.
- Click Ok on the system confirmation message.
- To Reinstall – visit 123.hp.com/setup webpage.
- Now click Download Driver under the Support
- You may be asked your printer model number and county of origin; fill all those details.
- Proceed further by completing all the formalities, and you will receive the HP Printer installer file at your File Explorer’s Download
- Search the installer file and double click over it and click Run to install it.
- And remember to download the full driver package to fix PCL XL Error on HP Printer.
Step 7. Update the Windows
If you haven’t updated your PC to the latest Windows, then also error PCL XL can occur. Update to the latest release by following the below instructions and ensuring your computer is connected to the network.
- Right-click on the Windows icon and select the Settings
- Now click Update and Security from the Settings
- On the left sidepanel, click Windows Update.
- Move your cursor to the Download button; if it’s active, then click over it.
- Furthermore, your computer will find updates and install the latest Windows update.
- Now you can try to print with your HP printer, as the services are resumed.
That’s how you can quickly fix PCL XL Error on HP Printer. Most importantly, you must use updated HP printer driver software and the latest Windows version because manufacturers keep updating the bug fixes in their programs.
Anyone can follow the instructions provided in this guide, and if you feel uncomfortable at any step, you can take our expert’s help by contacting our HP support number. We will provide you al the necessary assistance.