HP laptop camera not working can emanate from a variety of reasons. To be precise, there are many different uses for the laptop camera. However, most people use it either to click pictures or hold online video chatting sessions. Nowadays, many HP computers and laptops come with preinstalled webcams that can be used to capture video motion or still images. It is worth mentioning here that a webcam is a video input device that works in tandem with webcam hardware.
HP laptop camera not working can happen when you have not updated the webcam software for long. The two most common varieties of software that uses webcams are internet messaging software and video editing software. In case you are running Windows 10 and HP laptop camera not working on Windows, it may work due to the missing drivers after a recent update. Let’s explore the ways with the help of which you can fix the HP laptop camera not working.
Before you commence to troubleshoot HP laptop camera not working on Windows
Before commencing with the task of HP laptop camera not working on Windows, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Check for updates in the first place. Navigate to the Windows Update menu via the Start menu and see whether any updates are available or not. If there are available updates, download and install them at the earliest.
- Restarting your PC works well in most of the cases. If you haven’t restarted your PC after the camera stopped working, you should do so. Restarting does solve the HP laptop camera not working.
- Run a hardware test of your laptop. If there is none, you can test the camera by yourself too. If the camera responds in the Camera app, the main issue lies within the app you are using.
If you are facing difficulties going through the above steps, you can call on the HP laptop support number. Their 24/7 customer care representatives would help you in troubleshooting the issue.
Setting up the software and hardware of the HP laptop webcam
To troubleshoot the HP laptop camera not working, you can try updating its software and the hardware. Here is the list of steps to install webcam software on your HP laptop.
- Look for the webcam hardware. If your laptop has a webcam, you should see a small lens in the top center
- If your PC doesn’t have a built-in webcam, you should use an external one
- In case of HP laptop camera not working despite the presence of the hardware, navigate to the camera app
- If you see the image of the camera, then your issue is solved
- On the other hand, if you cannot see it, restart your HP laptop and try again
- Call the HP customer support numberto know more about troubleshooting
Necessary steps to solve HP laptop camera not working
Here are some necessary steps which would help you to sort out the HP laptop camera not working. Note that select HP notebooks are equipped with a webcam privacy switch. By default, the position of the switch is always on.
- To solve the HP laptop camera not working, ensure that you locate the privacy switch, which is located on the side of your computer.
- The webcam shutter key lies in the action critical rows of the keyboard. By pressing the webcam shutter key, you would turn off the webcam.
- Updating your antivirus software is also an excellent way to solve the HP laptop camera not working. In other words, you have to adjust the firewall settings to ensure that the webcam software is allowed to operate as an application.
Install drivers in the compatibility mode
HP laptop camera not working on Windows can be solved if you install the drivers in the compatibility mode. Here is the list of steps that would assist you in downloading drivers in compatibility mode.
- Download the latest drivers and save it on your local disk
- Right-click on the setup file
- Navigate to properties and then to the compatibility tab
- Select run this program in compatibility mode
- After the driver has been installed, check its functionality
- Reboot the laptop to assess whether the issue persists or not
If you follow the steps mentioned above correctly, you would be able to fix the HP laptop camera not working on Windows. As webcam also has webcam hardware components, it would be best to contact the customer care support. They would send expert technicians who would be able to serve the problem quickly.