HP Laptop Black Screen issue – There might be certain instances when you are trying to login to your HP Laptop and it started showing just a blank or black screen, and this is generally reported soon after you have upgraded your laptop to Windows 10. No worries you can easily sort out the black screen issue with the remedies provided in this how-to-do guide.
What you will get in this guide?
Just 4 simple steps to fix your HP Laptop black / blank Screen problems.
Steps to resolve HP laptop black screen problem
At first, you need to check if you can hear the sound of fans or hard drive from your laptop, if yes, and the screen is still black then proceed with the following steps.
Step 1. Restart your laptop
Follow this step, if you are seeing the black screen after login and if the black screen appears before login then proceed directly to step 2.
- Firstly, you should shut down your laptop.
- Now you will have to disconnect all the cables, batteries, and other peripheral devices form the laptop.
- Further now wait for 2 minutes.
- Now connect the laptop to its original form and turn it on.
- Now check if the HP Laptop Black Screen is resolved or not.
If this step doesn’t solve the problem then process to the next one.
Step 2. Hard Reset your HP Laptop
Hard or Power reset removes everything from the computer’s memory and without touching any personal data. This step is capable to resolve problems like laptop freezing issues, black or blank screen issues and mouse or keyboard not responding, etc.
- At first, you will have to turn off your HP laptop.
- Now disconnect the power supplies from the socket and laptop.
- Further, you need to remove all the peripheral devices form your laptop such as USB driver, hard drive, USB cable, or alike.
- Nowto proceed further for resolving HP Laptop Black Screen issues you need to check if your laptop is with battery or without. Turn over your laptop and see the battery slot, if
- Your Laptop is with a removable Battery
- You will have to remove the battery from the compartment.
- Now your laptop’s power cord and battery are disengaged and you need to press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to drain the remaining power form your laptop.
- Thereafter you will have to put the battery back to the compartment and connect your laptop to the power adapter.
- Now turn on your laptop and check if it solves the HP Laptop Black Screen problem or not.
- If everything runs normal then you can connect all other peripheral devices to your laptop and it is recommended to update all the device drivers for smooth operation thereafter.
- Your Laptop is without a removable Battery
- Please note that this step is in continuation with point 4.
- Here you need to press and hold the power button for almost 20 seconds. The process may vary as per different laptop models, you can check with HP Laptop Support for more clarity.
- Now you need to connect the power cable back to the laptop and main socket.
- Further,correctly turn on your laptop and start the windows normally.
- Thereafter you have successfully Hard resetyour laptop and now you should update the device drivers of your laptop. Check the HP main website for new updated drivers.
If HP Laptop Black Screen problem persists then proceed to step 3 to check for the corrupted graphics driver.
Step 3. Check for corrupted Graphic driver or faulty LCD screen
There might be some chances of corrupted graphics if you can hear the sound of the fan within the laptop but the machine is non-operational. To proceed you need to arrange an alternate operational LCD screen and follow the below steps:
- Turn on your laptop and if the black screen error is there then connect the alternate LCD monitor to your laptop.
- The connection depends upon the connector (HDMI, DVI, VGA) you are using. Match the connector wires accordingly to activate the display on an alternate monitor.
- After ensuring the secured connection you need to press F4 on your laptop, to display the image on the monitor.
- Now if you see the image on the screen that means your laptop is having issues related to the graphics driver. To solve HP Laptop Black Screen visit the HP laptop website and download the updated graphics drivers for your particular laptop model. Update BIOS as well if available. To update the driver follow these steps.
- Search for “Device Manager” in your laptop search box.
- Now a new window will open, click and expand “DisplayAdapters”.
- Further, you need to select the Graphics name of your laptop.
- Now the graphics properties window will pop up, here you need to click the “Driver” tab.
- Further select “Update Driver”. Now your laptop will search for any updated driver and click “Ok” thereafter.
If HP Laptop Black Screen issue remains the same then follow step 4.
Step 4. Recover the previous version of BIOS.
If you can hear the laptop operating sound but the screen is black on both the displays then you can recover the previous BIOS version from the hard drive of your laptop. Ensure the alternate monitor remains connected with your laptop.
- At first, you need to turn off your computer.
- Now you will have to connect your laptop to the wall socket using AC adapter cable.
- Thereafter press and hold “Windows + B” keys together and then hold the power button of your laptop along with for 1 second.
- After almost 40 seconds you will see the BIOS screen and that indicates the initiation of BIOS updates.
If even after recovering the BIOS from a hard drive doesn’t solve the HP Laptop Black Screen problem then continue with step 5.
Step 5. Re-fit the memory modules
There might be some chances of loose memory modules, and that results in the black screen or laptop failing to start. In this step, you will have to open the memory module cover of your laptop and that requires special tools. If you do not have these tools then you should reach the nearest HP service center.
- You need to first turn off your laptop and remove the AC adapter.
- Now with the help of special tools, you will have to open the back cover of your laptop.
- Thereafter remove the memory modules from your laptop and then re-insert the modules back to the slot.
- Further, you will have to fit the cover and battery back to your laptop.
- Now plug the power cable back to the laptop and turn it on.
- And the process is complete. Check if the solves HP Laptop Black Screen.
This error is a part of small technical glitches that can happen with any of the laptops. The primary reason is the software issue that can be solved by updating the graphics drivers as explained in this know-how guide. At times the HP Laptop Black Screen issue can be solved by tightening the wires and cables and restarting the device.
So this way you can easily resolve the black screen error and if your HP laptop fails to display then you should consider contacting the HP laptop support. With the help of expert advice, you will solve the problem for sure.